About rent arrears

It is your responsibility to make sure your rent and service charges are paid. If you don’t pay your rent on time and in full, your account will fall into arrears and we will contact you asking for payment.

If you can’t pay your rent for any reason, you should contact us as soon as possible.

If necessary, we will put you in touch with our money advice team who can help you manage your money, debts and grant applications, and make sure you are claiming the benefits you are entitled to.

If your account remains in arrears and you do not make a reasonable offer to pay off your debts, we will take legal action against you which could eventually result in the loss of your home.

What happens if I receive an eviction notice?

What happens if I have to go to court?

What happens after court?

What happens if I receive an eviction notice?

What happens if Regenda Homes takes legal action?

If we begin legal action, we will serve you with a Notice of Seeking Possession. This is a legal document stating that if you do not pay the rent you owe or make a reasonable offer to pay off your debts, we will apply to court to take possession of your home.

If you receive a Notice of Seeking Possession, you should contact us immediately to discuss your account and prevent any further action.

If you ignore the letter and your account remains in arrears, we will apply to court for an Order for Possession of your property.


What happens if I have to go to court?

If you have to go to court, you will receive a letter confirming the date of your court hearing. It is in your best interest to attend this hearing as we will be asking the County Court to give us possession of your home.


The court can:

  • Decide evicting you isn’t justified and stop eviction proceedings.
  • Issue a possession order giving us permission to evict you.
  • Issue a suspended possession order giving you a final chance to avoid eviction.


What happens after court?

If you receive a Suspended Possession Order this means that the County Court has given us possession of your home, but it has been suspended on the condition that you pay an ordered amount towards your arrears by a specific date.

You must continue to pay this amount and any court costs until the arrears are clear. If you fail to do so, we can ask the County Court to issue a warrant to evict you from your home.

If you have any questions about the Suspended Possession Order then please contact us or seek legal advice.


What happens if I receive an eviction notice?

If you receive an Eviction Notice, do not ignore it, it will not go away. You can stop the eviction from going ahead if you pay all the money that you owe to us right away.

If you are not able to pay the outstanding debt, you should contact your Local Authority and speak to their housing team or seek legal advice.

If you don’t leave the property by the date given on your eviction notice, we will ask the court to send a bailiff to remove you and your belongings.