Helpful contacts

Safeguarding children

Call 999 if the child is at immediate risk, or if you think a crime has been committed

If you’re worried that a child or young person is at risk or is being abused contact, the children’s social care team at their local council.

You’ll be asked for your details, but you can choose not to share them.

Contact the NSPCC if you want to discuss your concerns and get advice.

NSPCC (for adults)
Telephone: 0808 800 5000
Find out about call charge for the NSPCC

ChildLine (for children and young people)
Telephone: 0800 1111 (freephone)

The ChildLine number won’t show up on your phone bill if you call from a landline or from most mobile networks.

CEOP - Report online child abuse

Safeguarding Adults

Call 999 if you are reporting a crime that is in progress or if someone is in immediate danger.

Contact the local police if you think a crime has been committed or contact the local council if you think someone is at risk or is being abused.

National domestic abuse helpline - 0808 2000 247

Modern Slavery helpline - 0800 0121 700

Care homes and home carers

Contact the local council if you’re concerned about:

  • someone not being treated properly in a care home
  • someone being mistreated by a carer.

NHS hospital or clinic care

Contact the manager of the hospital or clinic if you’re worried about someone.

Help and advice

If you want to discuss your concerns and get some advice, contact Action on Elder Abuse.


Action on Elder Abuse helpline
Telephone: 0808 808 8141
Find out about call charges.