Repairs and maintenance FAQs

Here are some of the Frequently Asked Questions about our repairs and maintenance service:

My smoke alarm doesn't work properly. What should I do?

Please let us know if your smoke alarm is faulty. If it is battery operated, it is your responsibility to replace the battery. If this doesn't work, please contact us and we will arrange to fix it. If it is hard wired, please contact us . If you aren't sure whether your smoke alarm is battery operated or hard wired, please contact us and we'll be able to let you know.

Who do I contact if I have an emergency in the evening or on a weekend?

Call us on 0344 736 0066 and a member of our out of hours team will be happy to help you.

Do you put carbon monoxide alarms in all properties?

We install carbon monoxide alarms to all residential properties that have a gas supply and we are responsible for repairing any issues you may have with them.

Who is responsible for graffiti?

We are responsible if the graffiti is on one of our properties and has been caused by someone other than the resident or household member. We aim to remove offensive graffiti within four hours. Other graffiti will be removed within 20 days. If it is not on one of our properties, please contact your local authority.

After a new carpet is fitted in a property, do you plane the door down?

Unfortunately, we do not plane doors down after you have had fitted a carpet. This is the same whether the property is general needs or independent living.

Can I bury my deceased pet in my garden?

Yes you can, but you must follow these guidelines:

  • Your deceased pet must be buried in something biodegradable, like a towel, blanket or a wooden, wicker or cardboard box. Avoid using plastic or anything else that is non-biodegradable.
  • Be careful not to bury it near water, electrical or gas pipes.
  • Please bury it at least two feet underground.
  • Check with your vet that the cause of death wasn't due to something hazardous to the environment.

Am I allowed a shed in my garden?

Yes you are, but it must be of sound construction and it must be in keeping with the surrounding areas. You will be responsible for it, and we reserve the right to dismantle it at any time in the future. Please follow these guidelines:

  • You must write to us to ask permission before you get your shed. This applies whether the shed will be located in your own garden or a communal garden. You can find more information about home improvement here.
  • The shed must be a standard size and no larger than 6ft by 4ft.
  • Try not to place it too close to yours or your neighbours’ homes, and be respectful of boundaries.
  • Do not keep anything flammable in your shed, such as propane bottles and flammable liquids such as lighter fuel, white spirit, petrol or diesel.
  • It is your responsibility to maintain the shed and you must remove it if you leave the property.

My garden floods during wet weather. What should I do?

Garden maintenance is your responsibility as outlined in your tenancy agreement.

To reduce the risk of flooding in your garden, we recommend that you follow these guidelines:

  • Remove any debris that may stop rainwater from draining, such as leaves and other garden waste.
  • Make sure there is nothing blocking the drains.
  • Don't walk on the soil after a downpour otherwise it may become compacted.
  • Aerate your lawn with a garden fork to help the water drain better.

Do you maintain trees, or cut them down if they are a nuisance?

We maintain trees in communal areas. If the tree is in your garden and isn’t causing damage to your home or causing a health and safety risk, it is your responsibility to maintain it.

Can you soundproof my property?

No, unfortunately we do not provide this service to our customers.