Dukes Terrace, located in a gated square just off Duke Street, is Liverpool’s last remaining ‘back to back’ housing. The Grade II listed buildings were constructed for merchants and their workforce in the 19th century. Often the workforce were required to enter and leave the premises from a separate entrance or the basement.
Outside Dukes Terrace stands a bronze cast sculpture of William Huskisson, a former MP who is best known as the first person to be killed by a train. The statue originally sat outside the Customs House in 1847. Following the blitz it was moved to Toxeth and the Cathedral Gardens before settling at Dukes Terrace.
We restored and converted Dukes Terrace into apartments and housing in 2003. The work was guided by a range of building specialists, including English Heritage and carried by the Cruden Group.
A walk down from Dukes Terrace, is the Ayrton. Saunders & Co Laboratories building. The company, founded in 1868, designed and manufactured equipment for chemists and druggists.
The national archives details some of its products, including surgical instruments, trusses, glass blowers, every variety of medical Glass Bottles; and ‘druggists' sundries of every description.’
Ayrton. Saunders and Co was bought by A.A.H Pharmaceuticals in 1987.
The building was converted into apartments in the early 2000s. However, you can still see the original signage across the front.
Both Dukes Terrace and the Saunders Building are now managed by our subsidiary, Redwing Living.