What to do if you are struggling to pay your rent

It's really important that you keep your rent and service charge accounts up to date. However, we understand that sometimes things happen that are out of our control, and we are here to support you to sustain your tenancy and make sure you're able to keep your home.  

If you can’t pay your rent for any reason, you must contact us as soon as possible. The sooner you contact us, the more we can do to help. 

We can put you in touch with our Financial Inclusion Team, who can ensure you are claiming all of the benefits you are entitled to, as well as helping you to manage your money. A full list of the services the Financial Inclusion Team offers can be found here.If you don't enagage with us to reduce your arrears, we will have no option but to take legal action against you, which could result in the loss of your home.

What happens if Regenda Homes takes legal action?

What happens if Regenda Homes takes legal action?

If we begin legal action, we will serve you with a Notice of Seeking Possession. This is a legal document that states that if you do not pay the rent you owe or make a reasonable offer to pay off your debts, we will apply to court to take possession of your home.

If you receive a Notice of Seeking Possession, you should contact us immediately to discuss your account and prevent any further action.

If you ignore this letter and your account remains in arrears, we will apply to court for an Order for Possession of your property.

What happens if I have to go to court?

What happens if I have to go to court?

If you have to go to court, you will receive a letter confirming the date of your court hearing. It is in your best interest to attend this hearing, as we will be asking the County Court to give us possession of your home.

The court can:

  • Issue a possession order, giving us permission to evict you.
  • Issue a suspended possession order, giving you a final chance to avoid eviction.
  • Decide evicting you isn’t justified and stop eviction proceedings.

What happens after court?

What happens after court?

If you receive a Suspended Possession Order, the County Court has given us possession of your home, but it has been suspended on the condition that you pay an ordered amount towards your arrears by a specific date.

You must continue to pay this amount, and any court costs, until the arrears are clear. If you fail to do so, we can ask the County Court to issue a warrant to evict you from your home.

If you have any questions about the Suspended Possession Order, please contact us or seek legal advice.

What happens if I receive an eviction notice?

If you receive an Eviction Notice, it is vital that you do not ignore it - it will not go away. You can stop the eviction from going ahead if you pay all of the money that you owe to us right away.

If you are not able to pay the outstanding debt in full, you should contact your Local Authority and speak to their housing team or seek legal advice.

If you don’t leave the property by the date given on your eviction notice, we will ask the court to send a bailiff to remove you and your belongings.