Housing Benefit

If you are unable to claim Universal Credit, you can claim for help with paying your rent through Housing Benefit. To make a claim, you need to contact your Local Authority. Details of your local authority can be found here.

You can make a claim for Housing Benefit if you are exempt from claiming Universal Credit for the following reasons:

  • You have reached State Pension age
  • You are part of a couple and one of you has reached State Pension age and has started claiming Pension Credit (for you both) before 15 May 2019
  • you’re in supported, sheltered or temporary housing.

Further information on Housing Benefit can be found here.

For advice and support with claiming benefits, please contact our Financial Inclusion Team on 0344 736 0066.