Non-dependant deductions

What are non-dependant deductions?

A non-dependant deduction is an amount taken from your Universal Credit Housing Costs, Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support if you live with somebody (other than your partner, a lodger or joint tenant).

A non-dependant can be a friend, parent, grown-up child or other relative aged 18 and over. Even if they don’t give you any money, the deductions will still be made to your benefit.

To check whether you are going to be affected by a non-dependent deduction from your benefit, click on this link or speak to our Financial Inclusion Team by calling 0344 736 0066.