Personal Independence Payment


Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is a new benefit, replacing Disability Living Allowance, for people of working age who need help with some of the extra costs caused by long-term ill-health or a disability.

It’s tax free and you can get it whether you’re in or out of work.


It’s made up of two components:

  • A daily living component – for help with everyday life.
  • A mobility component – for help getting around.


You can claim PIP through the Department of Work and Pensions.


The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) will be going through all existing cases to identify anyone who may be entitled to a higher rate of Personal Independence Payments (PIP) as a result of the judgement, which was handed down on 9 March 2017.

It comes after the DWP decided not to challenge a court ruling, that said changes to PIP were unfair to people with mental health conditions. 

Ministers made changes to PIP in 2017, which limited the amount of support people with mental health conditions could receive.

As a result, people who were unable to travel independently on the grounds of psychological distress - as opposed to other conditions - were not entitled to the enhanced mobility rate of the benefit.

Anyone who is affected will be contacted by the DWP, and their payments will be backdates to the judgement.

In addition, a number of affected individuals will benefit from the following -

  • Clarification to the assessment criteria for activities 7 (communicating verballing) and 9 (engaging with people face to face) under the daily living component of PIP, so that claimants can score points for both activities
  • Changes to the criteria for activity 1 under the mobility component of PIP to reflect the challenges that may be faced by people with sensory difficulties if they experience disruptions to a journey.