New Style Job Seekers Allowance

If you have worked in the past three years and have paid National Insurance contributions, you may be able to apply for New Style Jobseekers Allowance (JSA), even if your partner works or you have savings over £16,000. Click here to check your eligibility for New Style Job Seekers Allowance.

JSA will provide:

  • money to help with living costs while you look for work
  • support to help you get back into work.

For help with your rent while claiming JSA, you will need make a claim for Universal Credit.

You can also claim JSA if you cannot work but are still being paid by your employer (on furlough) or through the Self-Employment Income Support Scheme.

In order to qualify while furloughed, both of the following must also apply:

  • you usually work less than 16 hours a week
  • you meet the other eligibility requirements for JSA.

For advice and support with claiming benefits, please contact our Financial Inclusion Team on 0344 736 0066.