Fire safety in your home

 

As your landlord, we take fire safety in your home seriously.

If a fire occurs in your home, know what to do? Please speak to your Scheme Manager or Housing Officer and ask them to familiarise you with the fire safety plan.

Here are some helpful fire safety tips to make sure your home remains risk free.

For more information, see fire safety guidance

Do you live in a supported or sheltered scheme? See Independent Living fire safety for more information. 

Fire safety tips

Fire alarm

You should have at least one working smoke alarm on every level of your home. NEVER take the batteries out of your smoke alarm. Check and test smoke alarms regularly to ensure they are working. Smoke alarms can be tested by you, your Scheme Manager, a friend, neighbour or family member. If you have any concerns, please call us on 0344 7360066.

Did you know? 90 people die each year because the battery in their smoke alarm was flat or missing.
Fire escape sign

Make sure everyone in your household knows how to get out in the event of a fire. Ensure escape routes are clear from clutter. Keep your door and window keys in a known and accessible place.

If you live in an Independent Living scheme, discuss what you should do with your Scheme Manager.

Never store anything in a communal area. It can block your escape route and could be a tripping hazard.
No smoking sign

If you smoke, use a proper ashtray and make sure it is placed on a level surface away from combustible materials. Make sure your cigarettes are fully extinguished and don’t leave lit cigarettes unattended. Don’t smoke in bed – you could easily fall asleep while your cigarette is still burning and cause a fire. Never smoke when under the influence of drugs or alcohol. If your lit cigarette starts a fire you could be less able to escape. Keep matches out of children’s reach.

E-cigarettes - Never leave e-cigarettes on charge unattended for long periods of time. Do not mix components of different e-cigarettes. Only use the charger supplied with your device. Ensure you purchase your e-cigarette and charger from a reputable source and check the e-cigarette carries CE certification.

Did you know? Every three days someone dies from a fire caused by a cigarette.

Fire hydrant NEVER use electrical heaters to dry clothes, keep them well away from curtains , furniture and other flammable materials. ALWAYS switch off and unplug your heaters before going to bed.
Candle

Keep candles and tea lights away from anything that can catch fire. NEVER leave lit candles unattended – make sure they are fully extinguished before leaving the room or going to bed.

Did you know? Candles cause more than five fires per day.
Fire pan

Keep cooking areas clear from combustible materials. Make sure your oven and grill are clean – a build-up of fat or grease can cause a fire. DON’T leave pans unattended while cooking and NEVER leave children or pets unattended in the kitchen.

If the pan catches fire, don’t try and tackle the fire yourself. If it is safe to do so, turn off the heat. Never throw water on a pan fire.

Did you know? Over half of home fires are caused by cooking accidents.
Fire television When you go to bed, only leave essential appliances switched on – switch off and unplug electrical items such as TVs.
Fire exit sign

Check closed doors with the back of your hand. If it feels warm, the fire may be on the other side.

Smoke can kill – get down as low as possible where the air is clearer.