Asbestos is a naturally occurring fibrous material which was mainly used to provide thermal insulation and fire protection to buildings from the 1950s until the late 1990s.
It was also used as a filler material in building products like floor and ceiling tiles, pipe insulation, boilers, sprayed coatings and garage roof tiles. Any building constructed or refurbished before the year 2000 could contain asbestos.
Asbestos is not a health hazard unless it is damaged or disturbed. When damaged or disturbed, asbestos products release airborne fibres that can cause serious lung diseases if inhaled.
We continuously survey our homes and test samples of materials to identify the type of asbestos and its location and condition within our properties.
The information we collect is stored on an asbestos register and helps us decide whether to remove, treat or monitor the asbestos.
In most cases, we prefer to monitor asbestos to prevent unnecessary disturbance or damage. However, if removal is necessary, we will take appropriate action and deal with it in a safe and appropriate way.
If you think you have asbestos in your home, don’t panic. Leave the asbestos alone and contact us for professional advice.
Do not attempt to remove, break up or carry out work on any materials containing asbestos yourself.
If you want to make any alterations or adaptions to your home, you must first get written permission from us. We can advise you of any materials that contain asbestos in your home and how you can avoid damaging them.
Products that contain asbestos can look very similar to products that don’t. If you’re in doubt, please contact us.
For more information about asbestos, where it’s commonly found and what the dangers are, visit the HSE website.